Saturday, February 6, 2010

Three wooden spoons and a trip to the ER

Both of my bridal showers (Sacramento and SLO) were perfect. Both uniquely Sacramento and SLO. Thank you to all who were involved. They were my two all-time favorite showers!

At my SLO shower, my friend Kiersten and her mom put together an ultimate bakers kit for me. The kit included mixing bowls, dry cookie ingredients, a picture of her 1-year old son, Ben, after licking a chocolaty bowl, a wire wisk and yes... three wooden spoons. Packaging now days can be a tricky thing, as we are learning from receiving so many specially packaged wedding gifts in the post daily. These three tricky wooden spoons came tightly zip-tied to a cardboard backing.

A few days after the shower, I was eager to put all of the gifts that I had received away in our Peach Street kitchen. So there I was, cutting away at the zip-ties with my rather dull teacher scissors. I must have looked like I was struggling because Chris happily took the spoons away from me to take a stab at releasing them from the strangling clutches of the zip-ties. About thirty seconds into his attempt, he did almost that. He took a stab at something (not the spoons), but failed at releasing the zip-tie. Without my seeing, Chris had pulled his switchblade out of the drawer, slid it under the zip-tie and somehow managed to stab his hand.

I am probably one of the most squeamish people that you will ever meet (I struggled not passing out right before my bridal shower at the nail salon when the nail guy barely nicked my cuticle and drew blood.) Luckily, my non-squeamish friend Remy was visiting and was able to help Chris judge if his wound was worthy of a trip to the ER.

An hour later, Chris was the proud-recipient of 2.5 stitches. Eventful night. : )

Three wooden spoons later, I am grateful that I was the one to unpack the Magic Bullet! Who knows what damages could have been incurred with all that packaging. I want my groom in one piece for the big day!

Looking forward to see all my family and friends soon.

Love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment